26 augustus 2007

Eindhoven

This morning I have spread 50 letters in my neighbourhood.
I was asked to come up with a nice project that would improve the atmosphere (the 'social cohesion') in Rapenland-West (I live on one of the streets that borders on this small neighbourhood).
My idea is to make pictures of at least 50 inhabitants and make a book of those pictures. Then I want to spread those books in the whole neihbourhood, for free. At first I even had the idea of making big posters of all those photo portraits, but that appears to be a 'mission impossible'.
Last year, in a total of 310 houses, there were 75 burglaries in Rapenland. As a result, no one is trusting his own neighbour. So people would probably attack each others posters, etcetera.
Furthermore, because of all that bitterness I am having the greatest dificulty to get close to the people. I have now written an article to the local press as a call for participants and this morning I have spread these 50 letters. I am trying subtly. I feel like a sneaky person even when I am simply walking around spreading some letters. Curious what works best. As to now, no one has responded, so nothing works at all. Next Monday until Friday I will be walking through the neighbourhood with my camera. Hopefully the inhabitants won't exclude me. I really want this project to have at least some result...