24 april 2012

Kharkiv

Kharkiv art scene seems to be limited but strongly 'related', and therefore there is a lot of in-depth interaction going on. In 1 month I have found out a lot about some local famous artists and how they are connected.

The parents of Mariya No/araziyan, the female half of Grafprom (=design studio where I spent most of my nights) are Vachagan Noraziyan and Evgeniya Morgulyan.
Both are good painters, and I have even seen an exhibition of Vachagan Naraziyan's recent work in the 'Municipalka' Gallery - the 1st government funded gallery in the Ukraine! His paintings gave me the idea that I was going blind.
 Vachagan Noraziyan (internet photo)



The parents of Iliya Pavlov, male half of Grafprom, are Evgeniy Pavlov and Tatiana Pavlova. 
Evgeniu Pavlov appears to be a famous photographer, who at the moment mainly works with his archive and teaches, and Tatiana Pavlova is well known round here as a professional art critic. She has been writing for 2 books on constructivism among many other things.
Evgeniu Pavlov

Tatiana Pavlova is also the teacher of Serghei Kantsedal and Natalia Matsenko, new young friends of mine. Both study Art Criticism and have big ambitions.
Serghei works at the Yermilov art center, on which I have written in previous posts. I have spent some interesting moments with these passionate souls, talking about Ukrainian art history and the complex relation is has with western contemporary art. Serghei, only 23, already started his own art collection, with some works by local art celeb Roman Minin (see also post about the Yermilov art center) and Natalia's father is Nicolai Matsenko, who is famous for his graphic paintings with Ukrainian -older and newer- 'symbols'.
Nicolai Matsenko (internet photo)

Natalia and Sergei are also close friends with  Ivan Svitlychnyi, a young dandy-esque and subtle sculptor that I got to meet yesterday evening. Ivan likes to combine his sculptures with sound.
studio of Ivan Svitlychnyi

Then, there was also Nelly, whom I have written about before. She represented for me the more academic part of the Kharkov art scene. We talked a lot about life at the Kharkov Art Academy and Nelly also took me to the studios of Vladimir Nosan and Artem Smorodin.

Two other individuals that I spotted on several occasions are Tatyana Tumasyan and Serhiy Zhadan.
Tatyana Tumasyan is currently curating at Yermilov art Center, but she is also the art director of Vovatanya Gallery, where I saw photographic work during the Non Stop Media Festival. I visited Vovatanya on a Monday around 2pm and had to first enter a waiting room with pregnant women and then ask for the gallery. A lady took me to the basement and switched on the light and waited until I was finished to switch it off again. Funny location for a gallery, but at least a gallery!
I spotted Tumasyan in the Municipal Gallery and Yermilov art Center, opening exhibitions. I hear she is an important player in the local art scene.

Serhiy Zhadan is a poetry and prose writer who also likes to perform music, with or without band. I have seen him singing some good ska, and I saw him performing next to a lady in a more ethnic band. He also curated a poetry-music afternoon for the Non Stop Media Festival.
Serhiy Zhadan

LINKS:
Grafprom
http://www.behance.net/?search=grafprom&user_tags=
Vachagan Naraziyan
http://www.jamesyarosh.com/noncon_coll011009b.html
Evgeniy Pavlov
http://www.artcross.com.ua/foto-pavlov-evgeniy
Ivan Svitlychnyi
http://pinchukartcentre.org/en/exhibitions/artists/16469
Serhiy Zhadan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serhiy_Zhadan