04 april 2012

Kharkiv


My eyes are amazed by what they see here. To my somewhat spoiled Belgian-Dutch mind it's as if different time periods are overlapping each other in a way I never considered possible, and different cultures and societies and thus ways of organizing and considering things, are still having discussions on how to proceed from here. I cannot say anything more precise that describes what I experience. For now, I enjoy being a little confused.



In the mean time, I have also been playing hide and seek inside the office (/ my room) with Micha, the 4 year old son of my colleagues, I have been eating a delicious 3 course lunch in a nice place called jazzter (grafprom, the studio of Maria and Iliya who are hosting me, designs for them) and I got an elaborate tour through Kharkiv art academy by a guy I bumped into while I was freely exploring the school, who works in the photo studio there. We were later accompanied by a girl, Nelyy, who spoke English and was very willing to answer all my questions. Art schools will be art schools, but I must say, the paintings and drawings I saw there today, do not remind me of anything back at my art school, where I studied until 2007, back in the Netherlands. I saw merely technical experiments, and some very good ones, and I am  sure I will be discovering more the coming days and weeks...

  


Click "newer post" right below /rechts onder for the next story.