18 april 2012

Kharkiv

Yesterday was the kick-off of 'Non Stop Media Festival' in Kharkov = a festival for young art.
So I went for the 2nd time to this brand new Yermilov Art Center (I didn't tell you I was there before but I was). It is the 1st and only experimental contemporary art space in Kharkov. They want to offer space to young artists specifically. I find it quite surreal to be here with my art research mission, in the 1st month of the existence of this place.

The previous exhibition at the Center was also definitely worth it. For some of the most interesting local artists were on show. Hereby, some photos of this 1st exhibition ever at Yermilov art Center (taken over a week ago):
Artem Volokitin (oil paintings)


Roman Minin

 Pavel Makov

There were a lot of people and press at the 2nd opening, and I hear almost everyone is happy that the new center is there. About the art presented, opinions are divided. (Of course, I'd say.)
The art work was not exactly like the contemporary art I am used to. But at the same time, the setting and the people felt familiar. A lot of the young exhibited artists were referring to gender, politics and history. I appreciated the rigidness in the way most work was presented. Clearly, during the process of creation some of these artists don't care so much about how they will show their work. Moreover, they don't usually have 20 kinds of for instance, paper to choose from - I myself went to buy some drawing paper and could only choose between 2 options: smooth or rough, not 15 'in between' kinds like back in the Netherlands...
(I will try to find out the Latin transcription of the names of all artists in this exhibition...)
Dmitriy Avramov

Larisa Stadnik


Vladislav Chentsov
Daniil Galkin & Mariya Drozdova

Mikhail Dolianovskiy

Anton and Leonid Reznikov





Nataliya Zotikova